Saturday, November 27, 2010

THANKSGIVING from "Dating Divas"

Who doesn't just love Thanksgiving? All of that yummy food...eating until you want to burst...pulling out those pregnant stretchy pants just like Joey did on that "Friends" episode - just so you can eat that much more. Lol. Okay, maybe we don't take it as seriously as Joey, but Thanksgiving is always memorable at my house. One thing is for certain, you can always count on my mom making an amazing meal. Ever since I have been married, me and the rest of the women in my family like to mix it up when it comes to the side dishes. A little something new every year. So here are a couple of recipes to try this Thanksgiving that are sure to give your man a tasty surprise.


1 can chopped olives
1 c. grated cheddar
3 green onions, chopped fine
1/4 tsp. curry

Mix together above ingredients. Spread on slices of french rolls and broil.


1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup flour
1 large egg, beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 10-oz bag salad greens
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Extra-virgin olive oil

Steam the cauliflower until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, mash and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and egg, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll 1/4 cupfuls into balls, then flatten into patties, to make a total of 12 to 14. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the patties until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with the salad greens tossed in olive oil and the lemon juice.

Coconut Candied Yams

Source: Lisa M., Fellow Diva


Prep: 10 min.  Cook: 30 min.  Serves: 6
29 oz. can of yams; drained and mashed
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 T. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
6 oz. crushed pineapple; drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the ingredients above and spoon into a greased baking dish.

Topping:
3/4 c. coconut
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. melted butter
1/4 c. chopped pecans

Combine the topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of the yam mixture.

Cook yams at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Eat and enjoy!

Easy-Peezy Pumpkin Pie

Okay, now I know that the majority of us LOVE our pumpkin pie to finish off an amazing Thanksgiving meal. I look forward to it all year long. Growing up, my mom and grandmother would have a "pie day" where we would make anywhere from 17 to 30 pies in one day - most of them pumpkin. And yes, we would be eating pie for a week solid. Now, these aren't your ordinary pies. These are pies that taste straight off the farm (these are the best in my opinion because if you've been raised on a farm, you know how to make everything from scratch,including the pie crust). This is a true statement because my grandmother was raised on a farm and her pies are out of this world!

To the point...I have a much quicker way to make your pies taste just like my grandmother's - without all the work. Are you ready for my secret? Remember, I learned how to make pies the old fashioned way and if my grandmother ever knew about this shortcut she would be sorely disappointed in me. That's why last year, when I made her MY pumpkin pie, she complimented me on my "amazing" crust and how I make it just like her. Teehee...don't tell her the truth! The truth is that I BUY my crust in the freezer section. That's right. I totally cheat! And no one knows! My mom actually got me hooked on these crusts because they taste EXACTLY like my grandma's crusts (maybe not quite as flaky as hers). Without all the mess and without all the work. You have to buy a specific brand though. The other brands just don't stand up to the Marie Calendar's pie crusts. You can find them on the freezer isle with all the desserts. SO there is my big secret. For those of you really looking to have the real old fashioned pie crust, click HERE for my grandmother's recipe. Keep in mind that it will take you a few tries to get it right and probably years to perfect it. It's worth it....but just so you know there is some work involved.

Now that you have your pie crust, simply buy the Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix, follow the instructions on the back and cook your pie! Voila! It will taste like you have slaved all day in the kitchen when really...you've been cuddling with your man while your pie cooks in the oven!

Don't forget to top it off with the real whipped cream. Oh, yum!

I want to give Lisa M. a HUGE thank you for helping out with this post! She contributed the Coconut Candied Yams recipe. I'm not a yam fan, but this one I will definitely try! It looks Divine! Thanks Lisa M.!

No comments:

Post a Comment